ou were in an accident – now what? Knowing what to expect in the claim process can help you get back on the road more quickly. Living in a remote area can create challenges when you need to get your car fixed after an accident. If your town does not have an auto body repair shop then you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Take photos of your vehicle. Most repair facilities will want the following photos:
- Each full side of the vehicle – even though they’re not all damaged
- Several shots from different angles of the damaged area
- Vehicle Identification Number (can usually be found on the driver door or door frame)
- Current Odometer reading
- Email photos to the repair shop of your choosing and request a repair estimate. Some insurance companies have a preferred repair shop so be sure to ask your agent or the adjuster if you have questions.
- Once the repair estimate is received it needs to be sent to the adjuster for review.
- After the estimate is approved you’ll schedule the repairs with the shop
- Send your car in for repairs
The claim coverage will include the cost to send your vehicle to the nearest repair shop. This includes the cost of the ferry ticket or barge freight charges.